Things we'd like to share with you

tomatoes

Ōtaki’s Sustainable Food Group

Ōtaki’s Sustainable Food Group is looking for people to help run its weekly Seasonal Surplus Food Stall. The stall sells produce to the public on the green area by the Memorial Hall on Main Street, Ōtaki.

Volunteers are rostered on once a month and work from 10am until around midday, on a Thursday morning, over the summer and early autumn months.

How the stall works:

Between 10.30 and 11am anyone who has surplus to sell from their garden, orchard or hens can bring it to the Stall. We buy the produce at 80% of the price it will be sold at. The other 20% covers expenses in setting up and running the stall.

From 11am until midday we sell the produce to public. Any excess produce, or profit over and above expenses, we give to local community groups—the Health Shuttle, the Food Bank and Birthright. The Stall is now in its eighth year of operation.

We’d love some extra help on the Stall.

It’s a fun job, a good place to network about local garden matters and involves a couple of hours just once a month. If you’d like to help call Bernadine or Belinda.

Bernadine Bloemgarten – (06) 364 7762 / 021 105 7961

Belinda McLean – (06) 364 5573 / 021 262 9347

2 thoughts on “Ōtaki’s Sustainable Food Group

  1. Hi Belinda and Bernadine, I would be able to help with these Thursdays. I’m in the process of joining the coop, but am not quite there! Contact me anytime about the Thursdays –
    02040202015

  2. Hi Letitia, thanks for your offer to help, sorry I only just saw it. I’ve forwarded your message to Bernadine and Belinda just incase you haven’t been in touch with them yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *